MASTERING EQ DR-MQ5 - BUILD THREAD

Talking about DIY. Or if you got stuck with your DIY project? Post here.

Moderator: DIY-Racked

Re: MASTERING EQ DR-MQ5 - BUILD THREAD

Postby audiogeek91 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:28 am

Hi,

If anyone is having trouble finding the 330pf capacitors with 10mm lead spacing... ive just bought 100 Mylar polyester film 5%.

I only need a few so if anybody wants some give me a shout and i'll post ya a hand full :)

They're not anything fancy like WIMA.
I couldn't find them on mouser in less than quantities of 2000.

Hopefully people have found them elsewhere, but if you need some they're here :)

Happy building!
audiogeek91

Postby bionick on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:45 am

Hi, all together.

Nice job, purusha.
This looks awesome, i like this EQ and i`m thinking of starting a build on my own.
So i`m just checking everything to find out if its possible for me and my DIY skills. :D

So here is my first question: The 1x12 Switches (maybe LORLIN) can be stopped at position 11.
What about the uraltone switches (or the switches directly from china). Is there a "workaround" to get them
stopped at position 21 or ar they "open". And what happens to the eq-band when you switch to position 23?
:shock:

Greetings to all DIYers in here.
bionick

Postby redmojosteve on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi
I have just completed my DR-MEQ build and in general things seem OK and it does look good even though I do say it myself. All the voltages are fine and I've had it soaking for about 1 hour now and re-adjusted the voltage rails. I have some snags to sort out as ever! There are some noisy switches which give a hefty thump via the speakers when switch in and out. These are the EQ in and EQ out switches which are situated on the HF section of the front panel and the X1/X2 switch in the MF3 section of the right channel. They may just be noisy switches but before I head off in the wrong direction I wonder if there are any components on the circuit which reduce switching noises e.g. capacitors? Maybe I haven't looked properly but I can't find any reference to the MS trim and it doesn't seem to do much in my unit. The overall gain of the unit seems to be less than unity so when I switch it in the overall volume is greatly reduced. I wonder if anyone has any advice on this?
I'll post some photos when I get it all running properly.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Steve
redmojosteve

Postby redmojosteve on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi all
My earlier "issue" of low gain was my fault. I use a unbalanced to balanced Sonifex Redbox to provide the inputs and outputs which enables me to send a signal from an old Hi-Fi amp in one direction and then back into the amp to check the output signal from the EQ (the amp has a tape monitor function which is ideal for this). I hadn't correctly adjusted the input and output trimmers on the Redbox to provide unity gain.
Generally things were working OK however I now find that RFS4, the 22R resistor on the +18V leg of the power supply is getting fried.I wonder if anyone can point me in the best direction to find the cause? I don't have a schematic and have been isolating parts of the unit but everything seems right but clearly something isn't. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
redmojosteve

Postby DIY-Racked on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:25 pm

redmojosteve wrote:Hi all
My earlier "issue" of low gain was my fault. I use a unbalanced to balanced Sonifex Redbox to provide the inputs and outputs which enables me to send a signal from an old Hi-Fi amp in one direction and then back into the amp to check the output signal from the EQ (the amp has a tape monitor function which is ideal for this). I hadn't correctly adjusted the input and output trimmers on the Redbox to provide unity gain.
Generally things were working OK however I now find that RFS4, the 22R resistor on the +18V leg of the power supply is getting fried.I wonder if anyone can point me in the best direction to find the cause? I don't have a schematic and have been isolating parts of the unit but everything seems right but clearly something isn't. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

If you have not solved it yet, write to diy.racked.sos@gmail.com
Regards, Purusha

May the DIY force be with you!

http://www.diy-racked.com
DIY-Racked
Site Admin

DR-MQ5 Build + Shelf Mod?

Postby TransparentMastering on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Hey Everyone!

I finished my DR-MQ5 a while ago, and it was certainly worth all the hard work! Sounds amazing. I have a couple of things I'd like to mention about my build that people might find helpful.

First, the biggest issue I had was the power supply to power switch wires were inducing some nasty noise on the R/S channel high band. So what I opted to do was to put a 2 pole switch in there that shorted the connections on the LF bands, just like the switch was doing. Now I have the option of a shelf with variable Q or the bell. So sweet. So basically, the power switch is now "LF Bell shape?" On is Bell shape, Off is shelf shape. If you are interested in this and can't figure out how to do it yourself, I can be more specific. But if you take a look at how the rotary switch is wired, it should become pretty obvious that the thing that switches it to shelf mode is the 2nd pole shorting out everywhere except the step at Q 0.4

(I also partly did this mod because I was having a hard time finding a 2 pole rotary switch for the LF shape, and when I thought of this idea, I was like HECK YES! haha)

Second, the rotary switches I got for the front panel (the cheap chinese blue ones) had the shorter shafts and required me to drill out the front panel so that I could get enough of the shaft out to secure the knobs to. Make sure you get the switches with the longer shafts or be prepared to do some sketchy-feeling drilling on the front panel.

Third, since I'm in Canada, the 120v mains required a bigger fuse. I kept blowing the 315 mA fuses randomly. For a while I was troubleshooting until I realised I'm an electrician and I should know better! haha I think I got 500 mA fuses, and it's held since then.

I got the Hairball JE-990 opamps because they are supposedly cleaner than the API based offerings. I do like colour, but since this is my main mastering EQ, I wanted to make sure it suited everything thrown into it. I was considering coming up with some kind of 6 pole relay or 6 pole switch contraption to switch between DOA's haha but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to be worth it. I'm just happy my unit is up and running and reliable right now.

If anyone is interested, I can post some sound files. I haven't made any yet, but I can if there's interest.

Let me know if you have any questions. I should have posted sooner after making it, but I've been insanely busy mastering records with this incredible EQ. Hopefully I haven't forgotten too much..

Jon
TransparentMastering

Previous

Return to THE LAB